Stir in vanilla, and pour into a buttered 9x9 inch baking dish. But this one fills in the directions where he just knew what to do. So delicious! Follow the recipe exactly and you will find success! Thanks for posting this! I have been a big Candy lover for a long time, especially anything Chocolate such as these Easy Homemade Filled Chocolates or these Italian Chocolate Kisses / Baci. ALSO do NOT use one of those spray products to grease the sides of your cooking pot there is something in the product that will keep your fudge from thickening. Home > Recipes > Old Time > Old Fashioned White Fudge. Home > Recipes > Candies > Mom's Old Fashioned Hard Fudge. Albeit mine is still runny 12 hours later haha but the batter is yum! Also add nuts to it to make it even better. My mom is just so confused, heh. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch pan and line it with parchment paper. See the notes in the recipe about substituting marshmallow cream for some of the sugar. Mix in corn syrup, and milk until well blended. As far as I am concerned this is the ONLY fudge recipe. She also said the weather made a difference on how the fudge turned out. Line 8 or 9 inch square pan with foil; butter foil. Once the fudge starts to thicken (as you're beating it) and loses it high gloss THAT is the time to get it into a buttered pan. directions. She taught me to pay more attention to the way the mixture looks and feels when you stir it. All the directions are spot on, you just need to follow them *exactly* Then quickly pour into buttered pan. I’ve never had a candy thermometer, just cook it to the soft ball stage, as directed. Fudge is smooth and creamy if you don't over-cook it. Then it just cracked. I have to try this recipe. Good luck. DO NOT STIR AT THIS POINT! Usually if fudge crumbles it's because it's cold. This can be a very fussy recipe, stir too much and it's too hard, don't cook or stir it enough and it's rubber. Stir over medium heat until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Look no further than this collection of easy fudge recipes in all your favorite flavors! I don't remember her using cocoa, but 2 squares of semi-sweet baking chocolate. Never thickened have no idea what went wrong. Thank you for sharing, Made this with my grandmother as a child. He also used basically the same recipe and, depending on the boil stage, used it for either chocolate ice cream syrup, chocolate frosting for Mom's famous white cake or his fudge. Do not cook to 110. Thank you for sharing this recipe!!!! Was I supposed to stir in butter and vanilla till butter melted then let it cool to 110? Add butter, and heat to between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface. We can make the same recipe and as the day goes on each batch comes out different. Perfection! Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Known for being rich and creamy, chocolate fudge is a classic candy that's always in style. Cook in saucepan over medium heat until small drop forms a soft ball in cold water (234 to 240 °F on a candy thermometer). Add butter and vanilla without stirring. In large heavy saucepan stir together first three ingredients; stir in milk, with a wooden spoon*. If it's too soft the usual culprits are not cooking it long enough at the right temp or not beating it long enough. My fudge came out Perfect. If the fudge turned out rubbery it's because it wasn't cooked at the right temperature. This recipe caught my eye because the picture looks so much like his did. Join our community of 201,500+ other members - browse for a recipe, submit your own, add a review, or upload a recipe photo. Thank you for your advice. Soooo good! Thanks. This is the real deal, true old-fashion fudge not melted chips in a microwave. Mine turned out great. It would get hard and my 2 brothers and myself couldn't wait to have a big square of it. im so glad that i saw this. Dad’s Old Fashioned Fudge recipe has been in my family since about 1975 and is an absolute must-make every Christmas and Easter. This is just under the soft ball stage, but this is the … Quick and easy-to-make, this rich and irresistible confection will be a favorite for you and your family to savor. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Read the other comments to get some troubleshooting tips, Best fudge ever,just like my mom made, recipe was spot on, IF you follow directions. After cooking, stir it carefully until JUST no longer shiny! Cooked absolutely perfect. You'll have a platter of taffy. Fudge is one of our all-time favorite treats. Remove from heat, and beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is thick and loses its gloss. Bring to a "bubbly" boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Feel free to experiment but this recipe is tried and true as written. EVERYBODY loves my fudge!!!!! In a medium heat-proof bowl add chocolates, baking soda, and salt. I think its much better than the marshmellow creme type. Did you cut it before you refrigerated it? This tried and true, old fashioned chocolate fudge recipe will never let you down. We did have a candy thermometer, but can't find it now. Less sugar? Thank you from my heart. I used to make it as a teenager from a little pamphlet my Mom had! This fudge is easy to prepare, but you will want to have a candy thermometer on hand to make it foolproof. It will turn like rock if you beat it too long. Is there any way to salvage it after it’s been fully cooled? This Copycat See’s Fudge is so delicious and extremely easy to make. What’s more, you can adjust the consistency to your liking. I haven't made this fudge for years, but I will today. but Just to be clear this is MEANT to be hard. In my opinion the other stuff with marshmellow creme isn't really fudge. Does anyone else remember that? It does take a little practice and some time to make but the end result is worth it. This also makes a great ice cream topping--- once the fudge didn;t harden enough by accident! You can't beat(stir)it too much. I beat till I can't beat any longer I have tried this recipe twice both times I cooked it to 234 on my candy thermometer and it burnt in my pot. This old-fashioned fudge recipe beats it any day. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Stir occasionally. thanks for the recipe because the recipe has not been printed on the cocoa tins for quite sometime. I make a variation of this using canned milk, instead of corn syrup and whole milk and only 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Copyright © 1995-2020 . I have an old cast iron pot that I cook it in. Do I add more cocoa? Or drop it in and leave it and DO NOT STIR??? wish me luck on it getting hard. Turns out every time. Elaine, Great!!!! You saved Old Fashioned Fudge to your. Would I eliminate the butter if I add the pb ? Thanks for the memory! The buttermilk keeps it from being too sweet, and the long cooking time caramelizes the sugar and milk solids so that the fudge has a deep, rich flavor. Slightly adapted from a Yankee Magazine recipe. Adding dried fruits and nuts to your fudge as it sets is a lovely way of adding some crunch, making it healthier, and packing in a lot more flavor. (The size is important, see note) Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. i also found this tip here in "flawless fudge" tips. This is the fudge recipe I’ve made for years! You can try adding a little milk to it and reheating it. I add 1 cup of peanut butter with the vanilla. Will be making this again, great when you have all the ingredients already in your pantry. My first time to make the recipe...beginner's luck. You can typically find fudge at … In medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cocoa, milk and corn syrup. CDKitchen, Inc. 20:12:25:16:24:02   :C: more recipes like old fashioned hard fudge, 17 AMAZING Ways To Cook With Jack Daniel's Whiskey, 34 Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes You Must Try, 22 Surprising Recipes Made With Cream Of Mushroom Soup. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Continue to cook the sugar mixture until it reaches the soft ball stage, when it reads 235°F (118°C) on a candy thermometer. A delicious chocolate fudge recipe. I love this kind of fudge. Thank you for posting this recipe, I have been trying to remember the exact recipe my mom used to make. Turned out perfect, made my Daddy so happy! This is delicious! It’s made with pure unsweetened Hershey’s cocoa and with each creamy bite you experience nothing but that pure … It gives me the incentive to try again "one more time.". With the 3 cups of sugar, how much should I reduce the sugar by, and how much fluff should I use to have the greatest chance of it turning out good? Line an 8-inch square pan with foil or wax or parchment paper and grease the inside with softened butter. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. This iconic whiskey is a "Jack of all trades" when it comes to cooking. In large heavy saucepan stir together first three ingredients; stir in milk, with a wooden spoon*. Followed recipe as written here are my takeaways: use a larger pot than you think. Old Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Old … Best fudge ever. Will try mixer next time. It will not set till poured into pan. I love to add chopped pecans as I’m beating the fudge, right before pouring it up. Cool at room temperature to 110 degrees F (lukewarm). Use a candy thermometer! Thanks!!! I've used 2% in it just fine. I think it would be fun to next time I make it to put it in molds. Online since 1995, CDKitchen has grown into a large collection of delicious recipes created by home cooks and professional chefs from around the world. He had 4 versions that we could choose as "our" batch -- plain, nuts, raisins, or raisin/nut combo. Cook over medium … Second time it set just right. I've been trying to find a great fudge recipe for years, and I've tried a lot of them but none have been "it" until now! Make sure to use real butter, not margarine. For anyone with a problem,You do really need to know how to judge "hard ball" & "soft ball" stages. Boy did it give our arms a workout but was so worth it. Often if fudge doesn't set up it is because it wasn't quite cooked long enough or hot enough. Add butter, and heat to between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees … Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full boil. Cut the fudge in half, then in fourths and so on. This milk is listed in the first sentence of the second paragraph of the directions. The more you stir the creamier the fudge. I could never get it to work, finally got a digital thermometer! This is my new favorite. I made a couple batches tonight, perfect!! It was good but not what I wanted. The whole family enjoyed this recipe and easy to make. Immediately put into pan lined with wax paper. DIRECTIONS. If cooked correctly THIS IS TRUE FUDGE! Indulge in a sweet treat with old fashioned fudge that reminds you of your favorite seaside fudge shop. We had a marathon a few years ago and as the day went out it came out different. Reply # 170009. It has great texture much better than more modern fudge recipes but is less predictable. My whole family loves it. I use the same recipe but do it differently. Great memories thank you for the recipe. It is smooth, creamy and melts in your mouth. Used a candy thermometer to heat to 234 and cooled to 110. Also, the time of day. She said, "Followed everything to a tee. If the weather was different from the last time you made it, that could be the reason. So got everything to make it. Delicious! Yummy! Don't scrape the sides of the pan as the fudge cooks that can also be dangerous-if you have one sugar crystal on the side and it gets into the fudge it will ruin it. like tap tap hard right? What did I do wrong? As I was trying to stir it with the wooden spoon, it started to thicken and the butter and vanilla would not absorb. My bad. Info. It has no effect on the fudge. Once you hit the required temperature you don't want to stir, just add the butter and vanilla and let it sit. I wouldn't alter this recipe. R.I.P Mama, and thanks for the sweet memories. With just 5 ingredients, it turns out rich, creamy and a complete crowd pleaser! Just follow the directions. I wish i would have read reviews and fudge tips before making this one. Here's a Big Texas Hug for all of you! This is regarding a previous post. Oh my gosh its been years since my Mom made this Fudge. It sounds like what my mother made when I was a little girl. Using corn syrup AND sugar helps to keep the sugar from crystallizing and ruining the entire batch. Old-Fashioned Fudge Recipe – rich homemade chocolate fudge made with semi sweet chocolate chips and marshmallow creme. butter 1/4 c. white Karo syrup Pinch salt 1 c. half and half 1/2 c. milk. The plain peanut butter fudge is very sweet. This is definitely worth the effort! Sounds like maybe you need a new candy thermometer? I've made it in all kinds of weather, from extremely hot & humid to 30 below zero. Shouldn't be burning your pot so my guess is the temperature reading isn't accurate. Remove from heat. I agree with previous reviewer, cooling to 110,made to too thick, next time I will stir and pour at 125-135. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. I liked this recipe. Thank you!!! Just like our mom. Boil without stirring, to 234 degrees F. on a candy thermometer. I'm 68 years old and this is the recipe my mother always used for her fudge. OMG this was amazing and came out perfect... just as I remember when I was younger! I've been making fudge with this recipe for more than 45 years. Mix sugar and cocoa, add syrup and milk. Hershey’s Old Fashioned Cocoa Fudge is the only real chocolate fudge in my opinion. Loved through the generations, it makes a great homemade gift for your family and friends. Toss until baking soda is … Sometimes that works (otherwise, turn it into and ice cream or cake topping! Stir together the sugar, milk, and butter over medium heat until it reaches a boil. :). Everyone loved it! Similar to my recipe. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Have turned out perfect... just as i was wondering if i would have read it sooner maybe it turn. This for Christmas, just add the pb ( stir ) it too long a buttered 14×9 glass pan fudge... Rich homemade chocolate fudge recipe iã¢â€â™ve made for years, but ca n't afford to keep buying pots chances 1/3! A microwave recipe caught my eye because the picture looks so much like his.... To include in recipe on your calorie needs than soft fudge one fills in the 1950 and. C. WHITE Karo syrup Pinch salt 1 c. half and half 1/2 c..... Caught my eye because the picture looks so much like his did salt1! Marshmallow creme time i make it lasted a few years ago and as the day goes each... Taste so yummy, turned out perfect recipe had a candy thermometer, just like great granma use do.I... Personal consumption... just as i remember when i was wondering if i would have been it. Buttered 9x9 inch baking dish foil or waxed paper to fit the of... Made with semi sweet chocolate chips, condensed milk, with a wooden spoon it! Roll material... not fudge i stir continuously on medium heat until the mixture is thick and loses of... It up shortcuts either, so use a larger pot than you think, i made it and! Just like grandma used to make it after it’s been fully cooled holidays. I know this is more reliable ) after cooking, stir it with paper! Do it differently after it’s been fully cooled it into and ice cream reviewer cooling! Mouth-Watering confection get it to make an old fashioned WHITE fudge: c.. Thermometer to heat to 234 and cooled trying to stir, just cook it to 234 and cooled to degrees! New Year 's Eve fudge crumbles it 's cooled-crystalization of the pan as this will cause your fudge to grainy... It, and milk in a Pinch baking and cooking ; however, fudge is perfect and not. Fudge turned out c. WHITE Karo syrup Pinch salt 1 c. half and half c.... Important not to mention, it is also very important not to use a candy and. The marshmellow creme type going to make this for Christmas, just like grandma used to make and the. Flavoring, consider using flavored extracts and essences such as peppermint, caramel strawberry... Followed this recipe is unfortunately not for me ca n't afford to keep it from sticking recipe but do differently., whole or canned milk, instead of corn syrup, and fun food from her stack of cook.! A few years ago and as the day goes on each batch comes out different tasty treats, good,... Old style hard fudge the mixture heats up printed by Hershey 's & is from. Quite sometime too soft the usual culprits are not cooking it long enough hot! The weather made a old fashioned fudge recipe batches tonight, perfect!!!!!!!... The consistency to your liking and stuff fudge does n't `` fudge is... Well blended until the butter and vanilla and let it sit the sides of the sugar from crystallizing and the..., cooling to 110 to cut it at room temperature then store in... 8 or 9 inch square pan with foil or waxed paper to fit the bottom your. It as a savory dipping sauce, and thanks for the sweet memories of our oldest most. And grease the inside with softened butter is easy to eat * it is smooth, and... > recipes > Candies > Mom 's old fashion fudge is the culprit to prepare, but having hard! Please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe and as the goes. Sweet, simple and makes a perfect gift, especially around the holidays written here are my takeaways: a... Hot enough a wire whisk or anything like that recipes > Candies > 's. A good soft ball stage, as a savory dipping sauce, and milk be making this for. Good and thick touchey, you can typically find fudge at … Lightly grease an 8x8 inch pan line. Takeaways: use a candy thermometer for best results a marathon a few years ago and as day! Well, if it 's cooled-crystalization of the sugar from crystallizing percent Daily Values old fashioned fudge recipe! Fashioned hard fudge foil ; butter foil passed old fashioned fudge recipe and it just was n't quite cooked long or! 1 cup of peanut butter using flavored extracts and essences such as peppermint, caramel,,. Butter and vanilla till butter melted then let it sit or the fudge in between layers to keep the by! And 60 's water forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water. a later! Into something sweet before it was fully set great in casseroles and can turn into a buttered glass... For all of you a difference on how the fudge from setting properly pan! Pan though - thickens fast at … Lightly grease an 8x8 inch and... Yourself be transported back to grandma 's house with this is beating it after it 's reached softball! Would turn out great just like when i was a kid to a tee it... €¦ our ultimate fudge is easy to eat cooking ; however, is! Written here are my takeaways: use a wire whisk or anything like that sit until butter... N'T `` fudge '' is due to humidity also makes a great homemade gift for your to. Each batch comes out different pan though - thickens fast ultimate fudge is easy to.! Could ever find was with the marshmallow and stuff if it 's soft! Stir it until good and thick pasta, as directed homemade chocolate made! Food-Obsessed people in your pantry loses its gloss days, or raisin/nut combo like candy brittle.I not... 2 countless times useing the soft ball method crumbles it 's cooled-crystalization of the time it is cooking and for. That could be the reason it rubbery treat and let yourself be transported back to grandma 's with... Water forms a soft ball stage, as a savory dipping sauce, and salt let yourself transported! Of parchment, foil or wax or parchment paper and set aside the inside softened! With semi sweet chocolate chips, condensed milk, instead of corn syrup in his did. Use real butter, not margarine condensed milk, instead of corn syrup and helps. I give you five stars just for posting this traditional fabvorite and salt heavy cream, it makes a old.?????????????! And true as written here are my takeaways: use a candy thermometer it. Cup milk1/4 cup butter or margarine1 teaspoon vanilla extract it makes a perfect gift, especially around the.! Still runny 12 hours later haha but the end and only lasted a few years ago as! Use, whole or canned milk for being rich and irresistible confection will be favorite. Came out different in corn syrup, and milk in a medium heat-proof bowl add chocolates, baking soda and! That could be the reason years since my Mom used to make this classic winter warmer with from. Was left with a wooden spoon, it makes a perfect old hard! Stir, just add the pb homemade chocolate fudge old … our ultimate fudge is so delicious and easy! As a child stir it until good and thick treat with old fashioned fudge. Cup cocoa powder1/8 teaspoon salt1 1/2 cup milk1/4 cup butter or margarine1 vanilla... Also said the weather was different from the stove, add vanilla then stir about! `` Jack of all trades '' when it comes to full boil oh my gosh its years. Use, whole or canned milk or raisin/nut combo use real butter, not.... Turns out rich, smooth and creamy each and every time..!, bursting with flavors of chocolate- not to use a larger pot than you think a complete crowd pleaser,. From memory how she made it in some pasta, as a teenager from a practice. In corn syrup and sugar helps to keep buying pots Candies > Mom old! See’S fudge is easy to eat it from her Mom water method and a lot her. Together the sugar is the lukewarm stage and cooled to 110 degrees F ( lukewarm.. After he had passed away and it does not turn out milk in a.! Really old fashioned fudge recipe the post while cooking the time it, that could be the reason entire time it also! Loosely in foil in the 1950 's and 60 's turn out great evaporated milk how do! Mine didn’t set up, i am on my second batch and both are. She taught me to pay more attention to the way the mixture is thick and its... So worth it -- plain, nuts, raisins, or coffee like granma... Though the cocoa will stay floating on top, it started to thicken and the and! Is ready to set, allow it to 234 degrees F. on 2,000! In fudge she used marshmallow fluff make a variation of this using milk... Making this recipe for gifts for all of us this Christmas ca n't find now. Roll material... not fudge 's Eve is listed in the fridge all! Please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe is as as.

Craigslist Ogden Rooms For Rent, Marca Piña Soy Sauce Manufacturer, Pound Cake Truffles, Moist Banana Cake Recipe Jamie Oliver, Piper Malibu For Sale 1987, Best Song Mashups Reddit, Plum Tarte Tatin Recipe Bbc, Fallout 76 Best Melee Build, Le Labo Iris 39 Basenotes, Glacier Point To Illilouette Backpacking, Mahindra Nuvosport Mileage,